Home Replacement Windows
If you're looking for a way to beautify the exterior of your home, conserve energy and add value all at the same time, then an investment in home replacement windows is a great choice. Home window replacement is one of the best home improvements you can consider for your home since they not only look good but provide energy efficiency, which conserves valuable resources and saves you money. In fact, the money you can save on heating and cooling bills can offset the investment you make in your home replacement windows in just a few short years!
It is estimated that up to a third of the heat lost or gained in many homes occurs through the windows. Single pane windows are not energy efficient at all and drafty windows suck expensively heated or cooled air right out of the house. Often, drafty windows can't be fixed well enough to provide adequate window energy efficiency and are better off being replaced.
Home Replacement Windows -- Continued
In short, replacement windows are a very sound investment in your home.
Once you've made the decision to replace your windows, there are a few things you should consider before choosing the appropriate home replacement windows for your home.
• Energy efficiency – This should be your first priority in choosing a replacement window. A window, no matter how beautiful it may look, is essentially a hole in the wall and has the potential for wasting a lot of energy. Anything you can do to mitigate this waste of energy reduces your home's energy costs and adds to the value of your home. Single pane windows are extremely inefficient and replacing them with double pane windows, or even triple pane, can save energy, lower costs and increase home value. New home replacement windows decrease heating and cooling costs and over the course of a few years basically pay for the initial cost of the replacement windows.
• Aesthetics – Replacing windows is a little like giving your home a face-lift and adds to the curb appeal of your home. Old windows can often show the age of a home and those that are run down can really make a home look uncared for. Replacing your windows can make a big improvement in the exterior beauty of your home, and this simple improvement can take years off of the look of your home, make it more pleasant to live in, and improve the interior lighting, while also blocking out more sound and making your home more energy efficient.
• Protection from the elements – Windows provide a protective seal from the elements dished out by Mother Nature and the weather. Windows should be effective in protecting your home from excessive heat and cold, rain, sleet, hail, snow and wind. Water can be a serious problem and any water that leaks into your home can cause major damage. High quality replacement windows can also protect the interior of your home from sun damage, such as fading of carpets, drapes and furniture and can better insulate your home against noise pollution from the outside.
• Types of windows – There are a few different variables to consider when purchasing home replacement windows, including:
• U-Value - It is important to look for a low U-value when selecting windows. A low U-value means that less heat is transferred through the glass (there is more insulation). You can check the NFRC labels to determine the U-value of a window.
• Low-E Glass - There are now windows that offer Low-E glass, which means that the glass is treated to reflect light and heat that passes through the window, keeping a home cooler when the temperatures rise. Low-E glass can also protect against the damage from UV light, and if coated on the inside panes of a window, can prevent heat from escaping in colder climates.
• Solar Heat Gain Coefficient and Visible Transmittance – These numbers determine the amount of light, solar gain and heat loss in a window. Choose the right combination of values that is best for the climate you live in.
The right decision when buying home replacement windows can make your home more energy efficient and lower energy bills, add to the beauty of your home, protect your home from wind, water and sun damage and greatly improve the value of your home. Whether you plan on enjoying your improvements for many years to come or you are selling your home soon, it is a satisfying feeling to know that when you make an investment in home replacement windows you are greatly improving the quality of your home.